Friday, August 14, 2015

dancing pieces of dust


By 5:30 am I had made a plate of tiny pancakes. By 6 I was out with the chickens. 
The sleep I got last night ended abruptly to the sights and sounds of an 11 yr old standing akimbo in bumble stripped underwear. "You didn't sleep with me." She accused. I lied and told her I had, "I just came out onto the sofa this morning..."
 The sunrise today wrapped the sky. 
 We have a lot to do. Ahead of us is a long day. And a kid packing a swimsuit to gym just in case someone invites her to a pool for the afternoon while I finish my shift. But she's not packing a towel so she won't look stupid when it doesn't happen. (I will pack a towel, sunscreen, & goggles for her. I already look stupid; I have nothing to lose.)
 Yes, I have a lot to do today.  In the hours I slept to the TV I heard today will be hot; hotter than yesterday. I don’t have a pair of flip-flops they gave out at the lake. I have resurrected my blown-out keens. It makes life a little harder than it needs to be; putting on shoes every time I need to run out and do a farm chore. There are a lot of little things undoing themselves- like stepping stones slipping below the waterline making the crossing a tiny bit harder each time. And you're not really sure why.
I have known since 2 am that today will be one of those “remember this moment” days. The thing I say to my kids when they are either really hot or really cold, “Remember this feeling. Store it away for later when you are really hot (or cold). And you can laugh about it.”
 These are the photos titled "Handrail". They showed up in my in-box while I was driving home from the gym. After work & practice we had come home done some chores then turned around and went back in to support a mate and her mother during choreography.... yes, we are officially on the downward slope into meet season. The first of the routines was created last night.
And so, evidently was a handrail.

No comments:

Post a Comment