Friday, August 18, 2017

walking the shoreline


I am too sick too hike. But with nothing but time spilling out ahead of me I had to do something so I went for a walk. BC has taken Beach to Idaho to see Fisher in Smiley Creek.  They will stay through the weekend to see the solar eclipse on Monday. They won't return to Utah until Tuesday. 


That's a lot of time left to me.


 I waited until after dinner, waited for rush hour traffic to die down.  Then I loaded up the dog and drove across town to the shoreline trail.  We walked slowly through the tall grass.  I could lie and say it was really great but it wasn't.  It was hot and I am pretty damn sick.  The heat and the dust, a fever & a sore throat, they don't all go well together... but it was beautiful.


The kind of beautiful you can forget exists.
 In the last true light of the day I looked back out over the SLC valley.  The interstate seems to flow west like a river of gold.  It bleeds out into the haze of desert dust and city heat.  At the end of it all far, far away a lake so ablaze with the colors of the sky it looks like it is on fire.

Now, let's go home.


No comments:

Post a Comment