Friday, January 18, 2019

travel the long road


Who knows what will happen.  It all seems like a lot of pressure to put on a kid. 1,300 miles of pressure.

We slipped out of the house at 4:12AM.

We drove the night. Racing down I-15.

By dawn, we were so far gone... I could breathe.

But as I drove us away from the pressures of my life we inched closer to the pressures of Beach's life.

It's a two-lane highway her and I traveling in opposite directions.

The place we meet is the journey in the middle.  Perhaps that is why we linger.  Why we pull off.  Why we seek roadside attractions and dirt paths along the way.


Our family is often the first ones to head out and the last ones to come in; the last family on the road.


Like I said, I don't know what will happen at the meet. All that I can know is what I can give to her along the way.


Breakfast in Mesquite served by little old ladies in fishnet stockings, painted rocks in the desert, rainbows on the side of the road, and mountains of sands.


May she always find the silver linings in the big blue sky above her.

No comments:

Post a Comment