Thursday, December 13, 2018

meanwhile in the bowling alley pro shop

So BC sucks at Christmas.  Birthday's too.  And remember that date night we dug potatoes?

 I try not to take it too personally.  I meet him half way by buying him a few small gifts, filling a stocking with fair trade dark chocolate, and buying myself something to open on Christmas morning so Beach doesn't feel bad and I have something to look forward to.

This year he requested no gifts at all for him because he was the only one of us to get a ski pass.  I agreed but... I couldn't exactly not get him something.

He works super hard.  He's a really great guy even if he is never on time to anything and fails most major holidays (oh, and doesn't read my blog).

I am a rule follower- well, rule bender?  So what I did was I didn't buy him a present, not really. I found (okay and bought but it was $3!) a bowling ball (named Scott) in a kick ass blue bowling bag from a local thrift store.

See BC has his own bowling ball which he picked up the same way, second hand somewhere.  And no joke he carries it in a woven woman's purse!  Yep, so many great jokes. The last time we went bowling he was complaining that it was 2lbs too heavy but it was hard to find a 12 pound ball that fit his big old fingers.


He's right it is hard. That ball I picked up for $3, no way would it fit his fingers.  So, I took it to the pro shop at a local bowling alley.  Yeah, even after the phone call with the lady who told me, "Ma'am, that's just-s a weird question" when I asked if they could make the holes larger for me without me knowing the exact size needed.

Long story short.  The skeptical bowling ball man who reluctantly agreed to make the finger holes as large as my thumb and the thumb hole "proportionally matching" (my words) he didn't charge me.  It was rumored to be only about $5 to have the holes enlarged but he said he didn't want to mess up my deal about not buying a gift.


I really hate Christmas but I love these moments.  
Little lights of kindness shining in the dark.


       

1 comment:

  1. That is a VERY cool bowling ball and a great not-gift. good job Misty :)

    ReplyDelete