Monday, September 14, 2015

day loading blue

The wind rearranged the yard. 


It opened and closed gates. Moved shadows and pushed around the flowers. It knocked hens off their perches and chased the rabbits into the far corners of their pen. 


At 5 am I met it at the back door. Into the blue darkness I walked putting things back.  The remains of last night's fire frosted the red stones of the fire pit like early snow. The smokey richness of the night long gone- taken out to the desert with the wind, I think. 


Standing in for the sleeping fire I have a fever of 102.  And somewhere between the dark and the darkness my foot finds a nail, one at least a decade older than I am 


The day continues to load. Blue fades to bluer.  I call a number that turns up to be empty.  I set the phone down beside me. Sit with black coffee letting my foot bleed into the grass. 


I watch the world wake up while my mind returns to the soundtrack of my dream- the sound of his breathing.  I could have sworn he was here with me 
& I can't shake the feel of him from my skin.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment