Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Love, Mom

As I get ready to send Beach off with her team this week to compete in Virginia I am looking for the magic words to send with her.

I have the To Do Lists.  I have the Numbers.  But what do you say to a 15-year-old as she leaves to compete without you?

Did you pack a good jacket?  It's going to be cold.  Remember your grips. Try not to wrinkle your comp leo too much. And for god sakes please wear your contacts at the airport- remember the time you didn't?!

We both know the drill.  The suitcase, the ziplock bag of travel size bottles, spending money, airport snacks, an envelope of notes from mom; one to be read before bed, one whenever, and one to be read before the Meet.

What hasn't already been said between us?

Dear Daughter,

A few weeks ago I looked out over the gym at you and your team on beam.  And I finally saw it, for the first time ever.  I saw and I believed. They are trained and they are capable of doing this.


The morning before your last meet I slipped into your hotel bed and lay beside you.  I wrapped my arms around you.  I whispered, I believe in you.  You are strong and you are well trained and you are so capable.  Capable of handling whatever comes your way today.


I am a mom.  I have been that way for a very long time.  I worry a lot.  Did you pack enough socks?  Did you remember to bring good supportive shoes?  Have you eaten well? Are you hydrated? Are you bored?


Dear Daughter, Good night, sleep well, I hope you are having fun in Virginia.


Dear Daughter, Hope you are having fun with your team. Don't forget to take a few photos for me.


Dear Daughter,  Turns out I am the harshest judge you have ever encountered.  I have watched you work hard for years.  I have seen the routines, the skills, the scores but only now do I truly believe in you.  I believe you will be okay without me.  I believe in your strength and your courage. I believe in your kindness and your leadership.  I believe in you.   


On the morning of your Meet you will open a letter from me and there will be nothing inside it because everything you need is already inside of you.


Dear Daughter, Call me when your plane lands and I will there to meet you on the other side. Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment