Wednesday, November 4, 2015

RIP, a sad night on the farm


Most of our fb friends know that last night while Beach was at gym and I was working 2 neighbor dogs slipped both their fence and ours and killed Beach's rabbits. I've asked to not have the details. Fisher was here when it happened. And I've told Beach that with that type of dog it was most likely a very fast kill.



For months we have worried about the skunk getting to them. I have always worried about stray dogs.  Recently a large hawk has been watching our chickens, it worried me too. 

We took steps to reinforce their run.  We also started locking them inside the cage at night. But the fencing of their run was no match for 2 large dogs. Owen didn't even know to be afraid of dogs. He and Little Dog used to cuddle.  I am sure he had no idea what was coming. 




Anyway, I talked the with the family and they were very sweet. At the front door I had the eyes of 7 young kids staring up at me. I'm sure they were scared I would ask for the dogs to be put down. They were only doing what most dogs would do. 




I told the mom Winter had been free but Owen was a prize rabbit that Beach had purchased with her own money. He was valued at about $45.00 but we had some responsibility/liability too so whatever they felt fair for Beach sake would be fine.



After I left we had a knock on the door. It was 2 of the smaller girls carrying a rather used loved looking stuffed rabbit with a note. Now knowing Beach some random rabbit won't heal her heart but she accepted the note and the toy with grace.



Rest In Peace little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment