Thursday, March 7, 2019

notes on Lodi, Ca

 I haven't written about the Lodi Meet.  I haven't had time but also, I haven't know what I want to say publicly.  First and foremost, I believe in good sportsmanship.  I believe in doing the right thing especially when you could get away with not doing it.
 Our beautiful house in downtown Lodi. 
Perfect for 5 girls and 2 moms <3 And 2 more girls and 2 more moms when we were lucky.
 Fine dining in a small town.


But back to what I wasn't saying... before Beach began gymnastics, I had a view (and it wasn't positive) of what the adults in the sport were like.  Our gym, our parents, the wider Utah community of gyms, and especially the judges I have met and listened to, they all have proven me wrong.

I have told countless numbers of parents if they get the chance to work a meet they should.  If they could only listen to the judges as they judge they would have a totally different view of this sport.

I have been so impressed by the judges I have met along the way.  Amazing, strong women (and men) with so much to offer to our daughters.
I wasn't in VA.  I can't second guess too much what happened to Beach's floor score but it did make me sad for her.  It was a beautiful routine.  It was given a number.  That number didn't seem to match but Season goes on.  And if the judging is rough but rough on everyone equally then let it be.

I was, however, in Cal.  Two of the best judges in the nation were also there.  Women, our daughters are privileged to know.  Judges who are tough but fair.  Judges who love the girls and the sport and it shows.

In contrast to them and their integrity, it made what happened on the other events even more shocking.  Judges openly rolling their eyes at athletes.  Judges muttering loud enough for others to hear, "just go, just go".  Scores that left not only our coaches but coaches from other teams shaking their heads in disbelief.

We are being told like bad weather, we encountered a pocket of judges who see it as their job to punish.  To use scores as a way to control the sport.

What great judges have shown me is that a good judge studies and learns and grows with the sport.  Good judges judge each routine fairly and regard each girl with respect no matter what her skill level.  A good judge is always cheering for not against the athlete before them.      
It breaks my heart to see all the negative ideas I entered gymnastics with are actually out there.  Alive and well.  Stereotypes that are ironically no joke.

Have you seen the movie Stick It?  We love that movie- for a million reasons.  Now we love it for a million and one.
These girls deserved better.  They traveled a long way.  They worked hard to be there.  And in return, they were treated pretty poorly by a few adults with the power to insert their own negativity into the numbers. 

At least those athletes who were lucky enough to get the 2 judges we know for sure were out there for all the right reasons, they were able to get out what they put in.      
I know for a fact my daughter's bar routine, the event she struggles on, was the very best she had within her.  And she was able to do that out of her respect for one of the judges sitting at that particular table.  That's what a great judge can do; they can inspire the athletes to rise.  When our girls see those judges they know they had better bring their best.  They will never forget them, the lesson they have shared and the growth they inspire. 
As for the other judges, the pocket of bad weather ones, they come with a different lesson entirely.  Never let someone waste your time twice.  
After all, scores don't really mean anything they only tell you how the judges are doing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment