Friday, December 13, 2019

Nedra

She sends me letters.  

They seem to come every month or so.  Little notes, sayings, and lessons. Small thoughtful gifts like tea towels on holidays. 

I open every one of them.  I read them.  I like them.

I take the letters to my mother.  

I show her the thoughtful sayings and positive lessons and practical gifts.  She shares them with her friends and they share them with theirs. 

I never tell Nedra thank you because I don't know her. I've never met Nedra and she's never met me.  

I am guessing she is my Visiting Teacher.  A woman from the local church, or ward as it called in the LDS church, assigned to touch base with me. 

She drew the short straw if you ask me.  You might say I am an ex sheep- extremely ex. 

As far as I can remember living here these letters have come.

Last month she included a questionnaire of 80 questions to ask a family member.  Beach and I carried it with us for a week pulling it out, asking and answering the questions.  

How clever this is, I told my mom over the phone. When we get through it I will give it to you.  You'll like this.  It's really neat.   

This month it was 3 different cards printed on bright shiny papers with the collective message about being present with your loved ones vs. buying presents.

I read my favorite one to BC and he smiled agreeing.  I set them aside to take to my mother.    

I never tell Nedra anything.

Nedra keeps believing in the dark that she is making a difference.  Nedra is right, she is.  Each time she sends me a letter she mails me a tiny piece of belief.  

A belief in kindness and bravery.   

It's been a long time since I have sent out a Christmas card but this year I do have one to send. 

Dear Nedra, Merry Christmas...   

No comments:

Post a Comment