Friday, August 7, 2015

sophia


Sophia

what a pair we make in this room you and i
under the hum of artificial lights
you so stubborn and silent
& me with all my questions
standing above you dressed and ready
a decade too late
see, you are already dead
and by the looks of things it has been your situation for sometime now
i cannot save you from yourself and your prison
anymore than you can save me from mine

no, i suppose i did not expect to really see you
tell me, did you expect to see me?
An undoctor whose physics notes contain more poetry than science
a godless child with a trembling soul
someone who can be found chasing refractions of light
up mountain sides, down dim hallways, & through old text books
following the footsteps of someone else from long ago
already gone from here

i had no choice but to go through you
please understand my road travels through this ritual of mingling with the dead
between you and i
i thought the sight of you would frighten me
the smell of your limbs would weaken me
under the weight of my nights
consumed by biology and chemistry I thought about you
worrying you would be the one to stop me
the hurdle I would not be able to over come

but here with you i am somehow a different person altogether
yes, I am sure you can relate to that
i am not worried for myself any longer
i worry for you
i think it a fate worse than nakedness of skin
your nakedness of bone, already torn and worn
ravaged by invasive curiosities of those who came before me
they touch parts of you, you never saw, wandering to places
your lovers never sought to find
you know vultures gather around carcasses?
yes, i suppose you do

somehow i knew you would be a woman
but i did not know you would be so small
so still
have you been told that with you there is a hush to life?
no, i guess not- but there is
tell me, death; is it really nothing?
does your soul rest in a heaven somewhere while your body continues to work?
or do you linger here like me in these hallways of formaldehyde?
wait, don’t answer that one

how are we doing; not so bad right?
i find it amazing that a hand with so little experience and much to do
quite easily pulls the heart from your body
don’t worry i will put it back where I found it
whatever i do learn & take away from this it disturbs me
I will never know your name

no, you are not what I expected to find
somehow more and less at the same time
more than another i have touched
i see you past gangrenous toes & chest pain
beyond the loss of a child & a thing we don’t discuss
more than all those who behind curtains waited for us to come
on into the nights and mornings of their lives
the less? that’s easy, less frightening

oh-yes, i agree; we are done here


10/29/02 Cadaver Lab


No comments:

Post a Comment